The shoulder has the widest range of motion of any joint in your body. Unfortunately, this high range of motion makes it easier to injure your shoulders. Minor shoulder aches and pains are common, however certain symptoms might be indicators of more serious shoulder problems. Symptoms of more severe shoulder injury include swelling, numbness, tingling, weakness, or a reduction in your range of motion. Often, basic self-treatments can reduce shoulder pain or stiffness.
When home treatment fails to relieve your pain, you might have a more serious shoulder issue. Typically these problems come in two types, acute and overuse injuries. Acute injuries might occur from falling on the associated arm, a direct hit to the shoulder, or an overextension of the shoulder joint. On the other hand, overuse injuries might only become obvious after a long while, especially if shoulder soreness is common in your daily routine. Onto Orthopedics offers various minimally invasive in-office and arthroscopic surgical solutions to help repair should injuries. The following are some common injuries and some of the solutions we offer:
Shoulder Injuries and Solutions
- Acute Shoulder Injuries- Some types of acute injuries include: Sprains to the shoulder ligaments, bruises, pulled muscles or strains, ligament damage, a torn rotator cuff (where tendons covering the shoulder joint are damaged), shoulder separation, and fractures to the shoulder bones. Nerve and blood vessel damage is typically indicated by a tingly feeling, numbness, a drop in arm temperature, weakness in the arm or discoloration.
- Overuse Shoulder Injuries- Overuse injuries are often indicated by inflammation of the pocket of fluid in the joint area (bursitis), inflammation of shoulder tendons (tendinitis), a muscle strain, or a stiff or frozen shoulder.
- Minor Injuries- Minor injuries may be treated with rest, elevation, ice, and compression. More severe issues might benefit from one of our in-office minimally invasive treatments. Onto Orthopedics offers convenient solutions such as reparative treatments. These may help resolve minor shoulder injuries and/or delay your need for surgery.
- Rotator Cuff Repair- Onto Orthopedics offers comprehensive care for rotator cuff injuries. The rotator cuff is comprised of various muscles and tendons that help orient and control your shoulder joint. Overuse or acute injuries can cause damage to the tendons in the rotator cuff, resulting in shoulder pain. Where suitable Dr. Shawn Hayden, the orthopedist can perform various arthroscopic procedures including debridement to substantially reduce pain in the joint. In many cases, he can remove debris or bone spurs that could be impeding the movement of your shoulder joint.
- Shoulder Dislocation Repair- If you have dislocated your shoulder at least one time, you may be at risk of future dislocations. If you have suffered multiple dislocations or your shoulder feels unstable, give our office a call to schedule an appointment. You may be a candidate for an innovate arthroscopic or mini-open shoulder dislocation repair.
- Shoulder Replacement- Dr. Hayden is trained in various shoulder replacement procedures. If you are seeking shoulder replacement surgery, please schedule an appointment.
- Shoulder Impingement Repair- In certain cases the acromion, the bone on top of your shoulder, may rub on your rotator cuff tendon and bursa. Bone spurs can also form in your shoulder. When either of these happen, pain and irritation can occur. If you are suffering from shoulder impingement, Dr. Hayden can perform a surgery to reduce pressure on the acromion and the rotator cuff.
How We Can Help
When home treatments fail, Contact Us at 214-731-3008 to learn about more treatment options and to schedule and appointment. Dr. Hayden, our board certified orthopedic surgeon will begin with a physical exam of your shoulder when you arrive. He will manipulate the shoulder joint to determine any obvious issues. If an issue cannot be determined definitively, Dr. Hayden might request additional diagnostic tests. Our practice utilizes diagnostic technologies including direct radiography x-ray machine, Mi Eye 2 video system, and an ultrasound machine for your convenience. Onto Orthopedics also offers mixed cell therapies. Whatever Dr. Hayden uncovers, he takes a conservative approach to treatment to help produce a high quality outcome. Contact our office if you suspect a more serious injury and we will help get you on the path to less pain and more motion.